Skip to main content

Sullen Girl...In the blue of my oblivion

This is not a place or a space for the sullen and forlorn. I say this knowing that at this precise moment I am quite sullen and forlorn and I am making every effort to ensure that none of that transmits to this page. That said, knowing myself, there is no way for me to continue typing without the disappointment and regret of a current situation springing forth upon this very page. And that said, ladies and gents if you don't want to bare witness to the forthcoming descriptions of regrets and what shoulds, please note this title, and check back when a happier post title appears. Until the time of that blessed occurrence (which might even be tonight) I offer you little solace or alternative for the quandaries of this world. And hence forth shall continue on.

Death is a depthful, grievous, phenomenon of this life we are given. So easily offered and yet so swiftly taken, the phrase "thief in the night" springs forth which brings me round to thoughts of religion but that is not the direction I'm trying to go.

How is it that in one second you can completely forget the majority of people who have become a norm of your life and then in the very next not only remember but have one stripped away so suddenly, it just happens, its just there.

I have to say I am quite biased in my affinity for professors; this because its hard to move beyond that shell "end all be all" "giveth and taketh away" persona. But in those moments, those miniscule moments when something clicks I do find my self quite fond of some. There was Lebon, who introduced me to this concept of Women's Studies and the feminist within. Tuell, the sprightly, thunderous, leprechaun reminiscent fellow who taught me the Word from a direction that suited me. Eren, the trendy, petite, Turkish German from who film took on an entirely new perspective and finally Dunbar.

Professor Jana Dunbar, Intro to Environmental Studies. Unlike the other Professors I had the unfortunate luck to only have taken one of her course, this mostly due to her adjunct status. But last semester every Monday and Wednesday night I knew I would learn a little more about the issues deeply rooted in this world around us and I would probably have an interesting conversation about its affect on me. I was hoping beyond hope that even if I didn't have the opportunity to sit in one of her lengthy courses again that the administration would come to their senses and take her on as a full time professor, I crossed my fingers and checked in with her every once in a while.

This semester I didn't see her as often, my course schedule and her night classes, there is no tendency to bump into each other under those circumstances but now that I think about it who knows...
I saw her two weeks ago and although I wanted to talk a little more I did the hi, how are things and bounced off to Statistics. The last time I would ever talk to her.

I have a tendency to hold back a little. I'm not much for crying in front of people but I could use it at the moment. The final night of class, I stayed to talk to Professor Dunbar about the class and my final presentation and she said to me..."You know sometimes you just stand back and you're proud"...Of me? And I will hold on to that forever.

Look down on us, as we looked down toward you.

**fIrEfLy**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The United Nations...Here and Now

"I am the first to admit I have dated all around the world, as a matter of fact a former friend and I would call ourselves the UN (United Nations). As a young black woman I had the all too common experience of growing up in a predominantly white southern town, on the daily seeing racism in ways that some may never know, I also had the benefit of a very diverse family who would break the mold just as well as hold it in place..." In continuation from the previous post on this issue, yes, I have dated outside of my race with frequency. It still amazes me how a visual characteristic can have such an unwavering hold on the minds and lives of people that it remains one of the most predominant issues of hot debate. The discussion of race is necessary to rid us of those misconceptions we may have about others at the same time I think in some ways the constant discussion of race just serves to continually draw attention to the subtle insignificant differences between people, its a ver...

Restoration, the perfect gift.

So I am about to turn 25 and everyone keeps asking what I want to do, my response of course being I want to party and I guess on some level that is always a good answer from my perspective but lately I have been thinking about so many things; how I feel about my life right now, and what is it I really want? What do I really want for my 25th birthday? A return to optimism, that intrinsic idea that no matter what, things are going to be ok. I love the optimism I have carried with me through this life and it seems to have been ravaged here lately but I miss it fiercely. When I lose it there is this replacement of anxiety that keeps me frozen, and afraid, and worried. I want my optimism, so I will have to take it. I want contentment, the feeling you have after a good day right when you fall asleep in that comfortable position knowing that tomorrow is going to be an even better day, and you fall asleep with a sigh and a smile. I want to remember to reflect on the love in my life, coming fro...

...it's got me feeling some kind of way...

Sometimes I think I am a bit of a romantic. I love happy endings and the roads that lead to them. I think the stumbles and tumbles that two people take just to be together are precious and beautiful. I read of love, and watch it in movies, and ever since I was a little girl dreamed about what my love would look like. I played with my Barbie dolls and planned out their lives, always a successful Barbie coming home to her successful husband in their beautiful home, with their beautiful cars but even as a little girl I recognized all the falls that happen in falling in love. And boy did those dolls have some realistic falls. As a child I was always quite observant so to me Barbie dealing with the highs and lows of her interracial love was not a stretch. Barbie home with the kids terrified when Ken, well Steven went off to war and waiting for him to return home to her. Shani searching for Jamal when the imaginary tornado touched down on their RV, all the while endlessly connected in their ...