Skip to main content

My Life As A...

I'm a little bored and a little too comfortable.

And I get like that sometimes, you all know that, you read this blog I don't need details to convey where I am. Honestly when I think about the way things are I realize that I'm really not bored at all. It's more like I'm comfortable; you know the way you get when big things that happen don't have to be big enough to tell the world because everything around you doesn't suck at the moment, and when things don't suck the big things tend to be less magnified due to the fact that you don't need gigantic things to make everything ok... And boy that's a mouth full. Although there is so much I could tell you.

I could tell you about going to dinner with BFEBF... My best friends ex boyfriend who is now my boyfriend...I could tell you how we went out to dinner with my best friend and her fiancee and how things went so well... I could also mention that The Best Friend and myself were a little loopy (aka tipsy) and we do get a little loud and we were singing in the parking lot of Ruby Tuesday as the employees walked to their cars...I could tell you that but I don't need to.

I could type about a post that I was going to title A Sign of The Times. I could tell you that my mother and grandmother (who could pass as a white lady) filled out a bit of paperwork, and that the man working there handed the paper back to my grandmother with a look of confusion...I could say that she filled out the area titled Race or Color a little like this:

Race or Color:
White/Caucasian
Asian/Pacific Islander

Black/African American
Native American

Spanish
Latin American

Other:
Colored

I would delve into the political and social implications of that piece of paper and my grandmothers response to it or my mother's reaction to the situation for that matter..."We haven't been colored for a long time"

But I just don't want to. And maybe that's just the way it is when you're comfortable, when the things that usually move and shake just don't do it anymore, or maybe you don't let them anymore. I just need my happy medium between the comfort and the eventful...Between stability and excitement...Between my life as a life and my life as a premature metro goddess.

**fiReflY**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The United Nations...Here and Now

"I am the first to admit I have dated all around the world, as a matter of fact a former friend and I would call ourselves the UN (United Nations). As a young black woman I had the all too common experience of growing up in a predominantly white southern town, on the daily seeing racism in ways that some may never know, I also had the benefit of a very diverse family who would break the mold just as well as hold it in place..." In continuation from the previous post on this issue, yes, I have dated outside of my race with frequency. It still amazes me how a visual characteristic can have such an unwavering hold on the minds and lives of people that it remains one of the most predominant issues of hot debate. The discussion of race is necessary to rid us of those misconceptions we may have about others at the same time I think in some ways the constant discussion of race just serves to continually draw attention to the subtle insignificant differences between people, its a ver...

In this corner the job, in that corner the work

I am currently half way finished with the entry about interracial dating but I'm in one of those moods where I have to switch gears and rant. I love the work that I do. I work with students in the public school system who are not necessarily on the right path to provide them the support they need to stay in school and move on to positive things in their lives, that is the short version. The long version is that I am a teacher, advocate, advisor, counselor...all those things kids need from everyone in the school that because of sheer size can not be provided to every kid. I love that. I love interacting with my kids, listening to them talk, having them call me at all hours for ridiculous nonsensical stuff which really translates to them wanting me to care and knowing that I care so much that those calls are OK. In the words of my coworker and friend I love the work that I do but I hate my job. I hate that I have an non supportive management team who I feel only backs me to get the d...

Ticket for One Please...

Tonight I am going to see a movie alone, I will ignore the implications of such, and continue on. I have never in my life gone to a movie theater alone. As an adolescent I was convinced I had Social Anxiety Disorder, disorders were a big thing then and now with everyone self diagnosing themselves; I actually learned the other day while riding the metro that I have Cyberchondria ...I like to use google to determine whether my symptoms, actual or alleged are in anyway related to an illness (which they typically are, because anything these days is a symptom)..cure for Cyberchondira ...stay the hell off Google. So this solo movie going that I am about to embark on, I think there is something changing in me, I would like to hope so anyway. There's all these things that I have wanted to do my entire life that I have backed away from doing because of what? Time, money, lack of company...but really no those reasons are not good enough so I'm off to a movie. Deciding between overly comm...