Skip to main content

Its been a long time coming...

Tonight I sat down and watched Pedro, the TV movie which aired on MTV detailing aspects of the life of Pedro Zamora, who was on the 3rd season of the Real World, and the first openly gay man to be on a television show while living with AIDS.

I have no desire to write about the quality or context of the film, it was what it was, but what I do want to write about is something I have thought for several years. We say words have power, words can make or break things in this world, can unite people or tear them apart. Words keep us moving and we cannot deny the power in them.

So while surfing the net I briefly glimpsed something on an entertainment website that said "
Important Roles These milestones in gay roles on TV marked the path to tolerance."
For as long as I can remember those statements always would stir uneasiness within me. So many people working for tolerance and I hated that word, to me the word in relation to the rights of others always left me with a sour taste in my mouth, it left and air of negativity that I could not "tolerate". To me tolerance was something I did in spite of a desire not to...I tolerate this war, I do not like it and I do not accept it. I tolerate the aspects of religion that I disagree with, I may not like them and I may not accept them but I deal with them. All of these things I can deal with but I do not ACCEPT. Acceptance being the operative word.

All this time what frustrated me about the Tolerance movement was that I felt it should be an Acceptance movement. I felt that we shouldn't just be working to tolerate others and having that be the ultimate goal. I don't want someone to feel like they have to deal with me because of my differences, I don't want to interact with someone who would feel the need to deal with me as a black person even though they do not like my blackness, who deal with me as a woman but do not like my womanhood. We have been working for years to secure human rights, civil rights, women's right, gay rights, political, religious...I could go on. And after all this time that hadn't yet transcended to Acceptance, we were settling on the limited definition of tolerance in the face of a far reaching acceptance.

So in preparing to write this I wanted to do a little copy and paste of the definition of tolerance. I specifically remember watching an episode of Oprah a few years back where the guests discussed tolerance and I looked it up online and hated the definition. So tonight frustrated yet again I went back to the website to do my copy and paste and upon reading the definition was a bit shocked. Where I was going to go into my frustration with our use of a limited term and the power of the words we used I could say I was pleasantly surprised. Although the terminology had not evolved from Tolerance to Acceptance the definition itself has changed. Instead of finding a definition of tolerance which implied dealing with something you don't like what I found was :

–noun
1.
a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.
2.
a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
3.
interest in and concern for ideas, opinions, practices, etc., foreign to one's own; a liberal, undogmatic viewpoint.


Words like fairness, freedom, concern, liberal had all become a part of this word that from my perspective had such a limited scope. So I feel as if I were right and wrong at the same time. Right in that words are so extremely powerful, they can change our attitudes and opinions. But wrong in that we haven't progressed to a more full understanding of differences amongst us because it seems that although words can change our attitudes and opinions, our attitudes and opinions can also change words.

**FirEFLy**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abstinence is good right?

Have you ever had to live pay check to pay check? I am and I don't even have a job...yah its that bad. So today marked the first day of my official on campus, paid job. Seeing as how I'm a senior I probably should have picked up this little past time, I dunno, 3 years ago. But here I am, student caller to the unprepared masses. Was I part of the unprepared masses. Was I unaware of the significant scholarship money they had set aside for me? Yea probably. Tomorrow marks the first of 40 days of Lent(spelling?). I've decided to forego sweets including soda, candy, icecream...unnecessary sugars pretty much. I've also decided to fast from being mean...ha I wonder how long that will last. And finally, I will abstain from any physical contact with the opposite sex... I actually threw this one in with the assumption that I won't have the opportunity or desire to physically interact with the opposite sex for quite some time anyway, thus adding this to my list is merely a met

You asked for it

You asked for it. You asked to put a face with the name which had been shrouded in a complex and complicated past. You asked and you got what you wanted when you know you should have left it where it was in the first place. Why is it that you can get past the fact that BFEBF is just that, you can be in the same room hanging pictures and sipping Bacardi and not feel a second of insecurity or hesitation? But you look at a picture from the past, his past and instantly you are taken to a place where you are no longer number one and you are just the one he ended up with when the rest didn’t seem to work out. But then that is life. It’s a series of tests and trials which might not come to the conclusion on end result which you hope. Hell you don’t even know where 10 years will lead you… matching chocolate labs and Volvos, or perhaps daily prayer as you wake up in a convent and go about your holy orders…yes that’s an exaggeration. Maybe being in the room with you best friend and her e

Be The Girl

Pain is temporary, pride is forever... I have become that girl. The one you see all distraught at the gas station because she just left her boyfriend's house and he lives a few hours away. That girl, by the way, is a bit ridiculous because even though she's crying and pumping gas and listening to Wild Horses on her IPod, the boyfriend is on speaker phone talking to her the entire time...speaker phone because she drives like a mad woman when she's holding her phone and the steering wheel and clicking away at the IPod. Now rereading that, no I haven't become that girl entirely. In actuality the only piece of that I can claim is the Ipod, bad driving and speaker phone thing...no crying at the gas station, I'm a soldier . Pain is temporary, pride is forever... I will claim that as well. That's what his t-shirt says, the one that I like from the Coast Guard Academy, the one that I tried to take but he wouldn't let me...the one that he stuck in my suitcase