Skip to main content

In Response...The Family is Moving In...AHHHH!

I am happy to say that I have gotten a few responses from my most recent post, The Family is Moving In...AHHHH!. Specifically one from my crazy aunt which I am going to post on this space, because obviously I have something else to say : )

"A word from your insane aunt-
The advent of Facebook came about as a spin-off of a Harvard University version of Hot or Not and Facebook was only made for Harvard student that why the "Pearly Gates were not open for YOU."

Now had you thoroughly read the blog you would have caught on to actual point and this response would not be necessitated however, it appears that this is not the case so here I go.

I am fully aware of the advent of
Facebook. And at the point in time when I was looking to join Facebook it had spread to several college campuses in the North East. We were all waiting and hoping for our turn. However, it was for people with a specific college association.

And in addition, so I can put this on the table now and not later in this entry, I was tiffed when it opened up to high schools, and when they put apps on, and changed the aesthetic of the site, just like I'm sure Harvard and some of the other firsts were tiffed too when we flooded their space but I have adjusted and I'm sure they have as well. I have high school students on my page (my sister), I have several apps, and I get used to the ever changing aesthetic. I am an adaptable creature so I can certainly handle a few aunts, uncles, and cousins.

Now to take on her individual statements:

1. I'm not that old
...we could flip that to say you're not that young either

2. I'm only some what insane
...which tells me you've only somewhat accepted the truth, but hey that shows progress.

3.I have a .edu email address
... I am happy for you, but we are way past the .
edu issue

4.To imply facebook is only for the younger generation is a form of ageism
... now the sarcastic part of myself is saying
Aww look at you using $2.00 words, you get a star. But the implication was more that. The main audience of the Book was college aged users, yes there were nontraditional students and professors who were on the page but the majority of its users were those 18-24 college students. That was not ageism, that is a fact. The Book is opening up to a range of people and we have to accept that and be honest about who we are at the same time. So yes I do miss the exclusivity that the Book once provided to its users but I have also benefited from its growth an expansion...I'm not keeping anyone out of the neighborhood, but that doesn't mean I won't look twice when we get new neighbors.

5. Who gives a fuck if you say shit, hell or hell fuck that motherfucking shit:)
...to quote the entry that you have responded to... "I can tell you right now if your Auntie is being completely honest there are days when she is tempted to write "Fuck that shit" in her status too." So thank you for proving my point, auntie.

6. only people you choose to be friends with can see what you write and if they have a problem with you say maybe you should choose your friends better.
...Not to be tit for tat, but that is not completely true. Who sees what you posted is based on the privacy setting you select but moving on...... this strays far from the point, I am talking specifically about family for 1, and 2 the whole point is being honest regardless of the problem anyone else may have with that honesty... if you remember I did say "STOP FAKING THE FUNK!"

7. You may have been here longer, and I don't want to stop you from sitting on your stoop but hear this niece of mine I now have a stoop to sit on in the neighborhood too and I'm not going to stop sitting on mine because of you, now that would just be wrong. Now if you like you can share the neighborhood or you can move out it's up to you. WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG."
...Whoa whoa whoa, me move from the neighborhood because you showed up...do you really think that would happen, really??? And aside from that the point is to realize that the neighborhood is being shared and we can take this opportunity to learn things cooperatively that we never would have known about each other behind the facade of doing right and saying right that we have when we really are around our families. Essentially the "
aww she's such a sweet, quiet girl" when yea she is but she's also shakin everything she's got for everyone to see on every picture of her facebook.

Now that I've addressed your concerns, let me continue...

The purpose of this blog entry was not to push you out of the neighborhood, seeing you sit on the stoop is not that much a concern to me. The purpose of this article is to say that yes, the ELDERLY(*) are moving in so are we going to stop doing what we have always done? Are we going turn down the music that is the beat of this neighborhood that we've created or are we going to continue to play it just as loud as we used to. Because what we should do is remember behind those saggy, aged, bodies(*), are a group of people who are just like us add a few more years of life experience, experience that when we hear about honestly we may learn
a lot from.

So welcome to the neighborhood, it may be a little different than what you are used to but everyone adjusts. Don't mind the nakedness, that's just what these kids do. Happy Hour is Thursday, and Tuesday, Wednesday, and Monday too but I'm sure you'll get an invite. Fuck has been crowned word of the year, for as many years as I remember. We have babies and mobsters, vampires and vixens, we stand up for what we believe in, and shout out from the rooftops things that not everyone wants to hear. I drink and so do they, we cuss, and party, and take pictures of it all. But I'm not foolish enough to believe that you all weren't doing the exact same things with just a little less public exposure.

This is us.
And this is you.
And this is honest as it should be.

(*)And just a general disclaimer for the older family, I do know that you aren't all elderly, saggy and aged. That was just for Cheryl's (the insane Aunt) benefit.

**
FiREfly**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abstinence is good right?

Have you ever had to live pay check to pay check? I am and I don't even have a job...yah its that bad. So today marked the first day of my official on campus, paid job. Seeing as how I'm a senior I probably should have picked up this little past time, I dunno, 3 years ago. But here I am, student caller to the unprepared masses. Was I part of the unprepared masses. Was I unaware of the significant scholarship money they had set aside for me? Yea probably. Tomorrow marks the first of 40 days of Lent(spelling?). I've decided to forego sweets including soda, candy, icecream...unnecessary sugars pretty much. I've also decided to fast from being mean...ha I wonder how long that will last. And finally, I will abstain from any physical contact with the opposite sex... I actually threw this one in with the assumption that I won't have the opportunity or desire to physically interact with the opposite sex for quite some time anyway, thus adding this to my list is merely a met

You asked for it

You asked for it. You asked to put a face with the name which had been shrouded in a complex and complicated past. You asked and you got what you wanted when you know you should have left it where it was in the first place. Why is it that you can get past the fact that BFEBF is just that, you can be in the same room hanging pictures and sipping Bacardi and not feel a second of insecurity or hesitation? But you look at a picture from the past, his past and instantly you are taken to a place where you are no longer number one and you are just the one he ended up with when the rest didn’t seem to work out. But then that is life. It’s a series of tests and trials which might not come to the conclusion on end result which you hope. Hell you don’t even know where 10 years will lead you… matching chocolate labs and Volvos, or perhaps daily prayer as you wake up in a convent and go about your holy orders…yes that’s an exaggeration. Maybe being in the room with you best friend and her e

Be The Girl

Pain is temporary, pride is forever... I have become that girl. The one you see all distraught at the gas station because she just left her boyfriend's house and he lives a few hours away. That girl, by the way, is a bit ridiculous because even though she's crying and pumping gas and listening to Wild Horses on her IPod, the boyfriend is on speaker phone talking to her the entire time...speaker phone because she drives like a mad woman when she's holding her phone and the steering wheel and clicking away at the IPod. Now rereading that, no I haven't become that girl entirely. In actuality the only piece of that I can claim is the Ipod, bad driving and speaker phone thing...no crying at the gas station, I'm a soldier . Pain is temporary, pride is forever... I will claim that as well. That's what his t-shirt says, the one that I like from the Coast Guard Academy, the one that I tried to take but he wouldn't let me...the one that he stuck in my suitcase