Skip to main content

Nothing Is Ever Perfect But Then Nothing Ever Has to Be

I am happy! Did I just type that, is it possible that I could truly be at that point so quickly in the midst of my wanton in between?

I should begin by saying I can't talk. My voice kind of escaped from me at some point during An Inconvenient Truth at the E Street Cinema. I went in with a voice, I came out... No voice. Maybe it got trapped in between the seats or something. (By the way GO SEE THAT MOVIE AND STOP DRIVING AMERICAN CARS...:-D)

Now let's just get to the point; no beating around the bush, no background then easing you into the decision I have made. I like my best friend's ex boyfriend. Close your mouth, get that look of shock, disdain, and disgust off of your face. I cannot see it anyway and thus it really has no effect on me. Now don't we all feel better?

This was not some rash, spur of the moment, underthought decision. It took some time, some evolving, some very important conversations, and much needed evaluation of exactly what it is that is going on inside of my head. In the beginning...God made the world yes, and in the beginning I also despised my B.F.E.B.FBFEBF (pronounced BaFebFa). Isn't that what any sane best friend is supposed to do? My sole purpose in life the moment I met him was to analyze everything he said, turn it into a debate, then argue him down until the life had been sucked out of him. He was my target. I was taking him out. "Put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye because baby you're going DOWN!"

I argued with him, I screamed at him, I told him to stay away from my best friend, and after about 2 months of this I found a way to have a blowout argument about a poem he'd written (to hell with free speech), completely establish that he was a horrible evil person, and block him from my life and buddylist...That'll show him.

That was two years ago. Fast forward to the now. Things change. Sometimes we are so busy worrying about the way we should react to a person that we don't take the time to actually react to them. We live with expectations and preconceived ideals based on the past and forget that the present is just as important.

My best friend is engaged and very much in love. B.F.E.B.F managed to become another person that we both know, that we both have a very different relationship with which is fine with both of us. So I let my walls down a bit, I discussed things with him, I realized I misunderstood that poem (oops) I let him read my blog. Instead of screaming at him I tried to understand him a little better and realized I enjoyed talking to him and that we could actually be friends.

So then how did I end up here? How did I end up the Girl That Likes Her Best Friend's Ex Boyfriend and where exactly does that leave everyone.?

Before graduation we talked a lot and I realized that I probably wouldn't have the time or internet connection which would allow me to talk to him as often, and I felt dare I say it, sad : O
Also, a rare few people know how I operate with others. I have these walls I've built up...Attribute that to trust issues, daddy issues, abandonment issues, or all of the above. It can be so hard for someone to see who I really am when I spend all my time and energy hiding and keeping them out. So once I finally let him begin to know me, and could laugh at myself with him, it was hard to just stop that.

After graduation we called each other, all the time and talked for hours about all the things we never said or rather, all the things I never let us say. I discovered that I'm not always right about people, and that evolved into my discovering that he liked me and I felt the same way

I have a simple question for you all to ponder. What happens when your Best Friends Ex Boyfriend decides to like you? You run for the hills like they are coated with money and one of those cute Italian soccer players is there to help you spend it; oh yes that is after you have knee'd said B.F.E.B.F in the groin and ensured that he has lost the ability to procreate. See people this is what we call common sense, logical thinking, the way of the world of sanity.

MY B.F.E.B.F likes me. And somehow I managed to stay away from the hills and he still has the ability to procreate...Well from what I know anyway but that is irrelevant. What do you do when you B.F.E.B.F likes you, you can't stop talking to him, and your best friend won't tell you no?

PANIC PANIC PANIC...If you didn't notice this is the point where I began to panic.

I say this because I have asked, pleaded, begged her to tell me to stay away. I told her she has to tell me this isn't a good idea, that she doesn't want me to do it. To quote a conversation:

Me: Tell me not to do it. Scream at me or something. Call me a whore.
The Best Friend: You know, you don't really strike me as a whore ::accompanying laughter begins::
It's as if she doesn't care, and I gasp. It's like an evil torturous plot without the evil torture or plot.
You have to follow your heart she says, you have to follow your heart...

All the while with her saying that I was still doubtful. What the hell am I doing, I don't want my best friend to hate me, am I a big whore now, I have to stop talking to him, but I can't stop talking to him, I hate this. All of this went through my head everyday for the longest time until I saw her. Saturday night actually and this is where we begin to get up to date.

I am happy because for the first time in my life I have a friend that I am certain I can count on no matter what. A friend who will be there when I laugh, when I cry, when I screw up, and when I shine. I have a friend who will support me and encourage me during a time when she has every right not to, during a time when my mother, my sister, and other friends are in complete doubt of me. For those things I am so happy, so blessed, and so thankful to have her in my life.

Best Friend: I keep telling you I don't care, you have to follow your heart. I'm happy that you are happy. So give me all the juicy details...

: ) I love her.

I am also happy because for the first time in my life I have been able to sit aside ideals of what perfection might be. I've been able to look past that immediate response and stick with something long enough to see that it can truly be good for me. I'm so used to compromising. I'm so used to finding the guy who says all the right things but can never back them up, used to finding someone who I know can only offer me certain things and hoping that at some point he'll see the light and offer me everything, when in reality he had no intention of doing that in the first place. I've finally been smart enough to believe the guy who cares for me, to realize that it is possible for him to say all the right things, do all the right things, and to have that be ok.

I've been smart enough to think it through, learn from past mistakes, and act accordingly. So this is what that whole growing up thing is about, I'm finally starting to get it.

**fiReFly**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Abstinence is good right?

Have you ever had to live pay check to pay check? I am and I don't even have a job...yah its that bad. So today marked the first day of my official on campus, paid job. Seeing as how I'm a senior I probably should have picked up this little past time, I dunno, 3 years ago. But here I am, student caller to the unprepared masses. Was I part of the unprepared masses. Was I unaware of the significant scholarship money they had set aside for me? Yea probably. Tomorrow marks the first of 40 days of Lent(spelling?). I've decided to forego sweets including soda, candy, icecream...unnecessary sugars pretty much. I've also decided to fast from being mean...ha I wonder how long that will last. And finally, I will abstain from any physical contact with the opposite sex... I actually threw this one in with the assumption that I won't have the opportunity or desire to physically interact with the opposite sex for quite some time anyway, thus adding this to my list is merely a met

You asked for it

You asked for it. You asked to put a face with the name which had been shrouded in a complex and complicated past. You asked and you got what you wanted when you know you should have left it where it was in the first place. Why is it that you can get past the fact that BFEBF is just that, you can be in the same room hanging pictures and sipping Bacardi and not feel a second of insecurity or hesitation? But you look at a picture from the past, his past and instantly you are taken to a place where you are no longer number one and you are just the one he ended up with when the rest didn’t seem to work out. But then that is life. It’s a series of tests and trials which might not come to the conclusion on end result which you hope. Hell you don’t even know where 10 years will lead you… matching chocolate labs and Volvos, or perhaps daily prayer as you wake up in a convent and go about your holy orders…yes that’s an exaggeration. Maybe being in the room with you best friend and her e

Be The Girl

Pain is temporary, pride is forever... I have become that girl. The one you see all distraught at the gas station because she just left her boyfriend's house and he lives a few hours away. That girl, by the way, is a bit ridiculous because even though she's crying and pumping gas and listening to Wild Horses on her IPod, the boyfriend is on speaker phone talking to her the entire time...speaker phone because she drives like a mad woman when she's holding her phone and the steering wheel and clicking away at the IPod. Now rereading that, no I haven't become that girl entirely. In actuality the only piece of that I can claim is the Ipod, bad driving and speaker phone thing...no crying at the gas station, I'm a soldier . Pain is temporary, pride is forever... I will claim that as well. That's what his t-shirt says, the one that I like from the Coast Guard Academy, the one that I tried to take but he wouldn't let me...the one that he stuck in my suitcase