Skip to main content

Diamonds Aren't a Girl's Best Friend Ms. Monroe.

I've decided that if and when I get married, I do not want a diamond ring. I'd been thinking about that for awhile. The Best Friend is getting married and there are all these enormous decisions and traditions that go along with that, thus I started thinking about what if.

What if at some point in the future I'm in a position where I actually can see myself being with one specific person for the rest of my life. Do I really want that feeling, commitment and meaning overshadowed by the "pomp and circumstance" of expenses and misplaced actions. Also, what I had been considering even previously was the idea of the diamond ring.

First, the diamond is worthless. If it weren't for the fact that man has placed some illogical value on the shining rock there would be no value. Second, it's most popular use is for beautification and materialistic measure. And third, the ridiculously brutal and inhumane things that have occurred just to bring it to the surface, just to ship it from our global South to our global North are unnecessary, illogical, and easily opposed if people would actually just...oppose it.

So after all of those words this is my conclusion. Since I was about 14 I loved that ring, ya know the one with a heart and a crown held between two hands? I never knew where to find one that would actually fit. I never really knew where to find one in general and I always figured there was no significant reason for me to have one. I was aware that it held some sort of romantic meaning, and had a story, just never actually looked into what the story was sooo....

Thank God for Google. I googled ("crown" and "heart" and "hands"). From this I discovered the appropriate name of the ring is the Claddagh. It's supposed origin isn't exactly known but one possibility is that it stems from an Irish man, who in a lengthy story that I will not reiterate in this space, made the ring for his love.

There are 4 symbolic meanings depending on how the ring is worn:
1) Right hand, heart pointing outward- Not in a serious relationship/Open Heart
2) Right hand, heart pointing inward - Serious Relationship/Heart is closed to others
3) Left hand, heart pointing inward- Married
4) Left hand, heart pointing outward- means nothing, widowed, or engaged (what a range)

So in conference with The Best Friend it has been decided that if I ever find myself in a situation where I just might be spending the rest of my life with a significant other, he will be fully aware that he MUST go to The Best Friend for precise instructions on how to find this specific item...Since she doesn't read this blog and won't remember the name of the ring:

"Google. Type in "heart" and "crown" and "hands". He'll find it."

**fIreFly**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The United Nations...Here and Now

"I am the first to admit I have dated all around the world, as a matter of fact a former friend and I would call ourselves the UN (United Nations). As a young black woman I had the all too common experience of growing up in a predominantly white southern town, on the daily seeing racism in ways that some may never know, I also had the benefit of a very diverse family who would break the mold just as well as hold it in place..." In continuation from the previous post on this issue, yes, I have dated outside of my race with frequency. It still amazes me how a visual characteristic can have such an unwavering hold on the minds and lives of people that it remains one of the most predominant issues of hot debate. The discussion of race is necessary to rid us of those misconceptions we may have about others at the same time I think in some ways the constant discussion of race just serves to continually draw attention to the subtle insignificant differences between people, its a ver...

In this corner the job, in that corner the work

I am currently half way finished with the entry about interracial dating but I'm in one of those moods where I have to switch gears and rant. I love the work that I do. I work with students in the public school system who are not necessarily on the right path to provide them the support they need to stay in school and move on to positive things in their lives, that is the short version. The long version is that I am a teacher, advocate, advisor, counselor...all those things kids need from everyone in the school that because of sheer size can not be provided to every kid. I love that. I love interacting with my kids, listening to them talk, having them call me at all hours for ridiculous nonsensical stuff which really translates to them wanting me to care and knowing that I care so much that those calls are OK. In the words of my coworker and friend I love the work that I do but I hate my job. I hate that I have an non supportive management team who I feel only backs me to get the d...

Ticket for One Please...

Tonight I am going to see a movie alone, I will ignore the implications of such, and continue on. I have never in my life gone to a movie theater alone. As an adolescent I was convinced I had Social Anxiety Disorder, disorders were a big thing then and now with everyone self diagnosing themselves; I actually learned the other day while riding the metro that I have Cyberchondria ...I like to use google to determine whether my symptoms, actual or alleged are in anyway related to an illness (which they typically are, because anything these days is a symptom)..cure for Cyberchondira ...stay the hell off Google. So this solo movie going that I am about to embark on, I think there is something changing in me, I would like to hope so anyway. There's all these things that I have wanted to do my entire life that I have backed away from doing because of what? Time, money, lack of company...but really no those reasons are not good enough so I'm off to a movie. Deciding between overly comm...