Skip to main content

Letter to my lighthouse

Hey Lou,
I meant to write you, I did once but that never seems like enough. There is so much going on here so much that changes everyday and I think maybe you left in time to let us know where we should go.
Ma could be better but I think she's doing ok. Keep your eye on her, on us, because this is a trying world of tests and battles.
Brian has a world of change ahead, I hope he makes it to where he should be, and if he strays a little just call his name, I think he'll listen for you.
There was so much I meant to ask you, and I guess that is regret but regret is only the past hindering you in the present, or so I hear.
How did you make that sweet potatoe pie? I tried and I feel like I almost had it but it will never be yours and I guess that's ok. How do you season a cast iron skillet, and why is it women don't know those things anymore. I guess you make me look past my feminism into those simplistic characteristics of the past.
What was Granny like as a child. Was she quiet like now? Was she passionate and outspoken, am I anything like she was? Do you see any of yourself in me?

You know I thought you'd always be here. I guess that's a little illogical, but you always were here. So I never asked what I wanted to know. I wanted you to see my children, I wanted them to see all the strength you carried, the power and the wisdom of the past. I wanted them to see where they came from and through you see where they could go.

Who was your first love? What was it like then? Did he take you out, or did you meet through family? What was is like when you met my great grandfather? I wonder those things because I think maybe it will give me something to aspire to. I saw Tommy and Eva. Or I saw him through her eyes, and I want to have that one day. I want you to be there, and I guess you will. I know you are still there. I feel you, its not empty as they think.

Guide me, watch me as I go along. You know there are things I want to do on my own, but I want to make you proud. I want to have your strenth, courage, dignity, and wisdom about the world. Lead me when I can't find my way, teach me when I need to learn, I want to be to them what you were to me. Hold me together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The United Nations...Here and Now

"I am the first to admit I have dated all around the world, as a matter of fact a former friend and I would call ourselves the UN (United Nations). As a young black woman I had the all too common experience of growing up in a predominantly white southern town, on the daily seeing racism in ways that some may never know, I also had the benefit of a very diverse family who would break the mold just as well as hold it in place..." In continuation from the previous post on this issue, yes, I have dated outside of my race with frequency. It still amazes me how a visual characteristic can have such an unwavering hold on the minds and lives of people that it remains one of the most predominant issues of hot debate. The discussion of race is necessary to rid us of those misconceptions we may have about others at the same time I think in some ways the constant discussion of race just serves to continually draw attention to the subtle insignificant differences between people, its a ver...

In this corner the job, in that corner the work

I am currently half way finished with the entry about interracial dating but I'm in one of those moods where I have to switch gears and rant. I love the work that I do. I work with students in the public school system who are not necessarily on the right path to provide them the support they need to stay in school and move on to positive things in their lives, that is the short version. The long version is that I am a teacher, advocate, advisor, counselor...all those things kids need from everyone in the school that because of sheer size can not be provided to every kid. I love that. I love interacting with my kids, listening to them talk, having them call me at all hours for ridiculous nonsensical stuff which really translates to them wanting me to care and knowing that I care so much that those calls are OK. In the words of my coworker and friend I love the work that I do but I hate my job. I hate that I have an non supportive management team who I feel only backs me to get the d...

Restoration, the perfect gift.

So I am about to turn 25 and everyone keeps asking what I want to do, my response of course being I want to party and I guess on some level that is always a good answer from my perspective but lately I have been thinking about so many things; how I feel about my life right now, and what is it I really want? What do I really want for my 25th birthday? A return to optimism, that intrinsic idea that no matter what, things are going to be ok. I love the optimism I have carried with me through this life and it seems to have been ravaged here lately but I miss it fiercely. When I lose it there is this replacement of anxiety that keeps me frozen, and afraid, and worried. I want my optimism, so I will have to take it. I want contentment, the feeling you have after a good day right when you fall asleep in that comfortable position knowing that tomorrow is going to be an even better day, and you fall asleep with a sigh and a smile. I want to remember to reflect on the love in my life, coming fro...