Skip to main content

But it doesn't help to know...

I have a cold, I am pmsing, and there is a Tropical Depression, Ernesto, who has managed to complete the whole ruining process of my weekend.
I have a cold. And although I am one of those “don’t do the medicated bullshit” type of girls, I’ve been doped up all day long on Dayquil and in about an hour it will be Nyquil…gel caps because I DON’T DO LIQUIDS… hell I’m not a child. I know how to swallow (and don’t make that last statement into something it shouldn’t be).
I am pmsing which my boyfriend likes to refer to that as “During These Times”. And you know all those stereotypical lies that men continue to plant into our social subconscious about women being these over emotional creature who could cry at the drop of a hat… well I hate to say it but sometimes that shit it true. There was this one time when I was younger that for some reason my mother screwed up the food order and I didn’t get my double bacon cheeseburger with lettuce and mayo (Dairy Queen)… I screamed, I cried, and then sat outside on the porch for 3 hours pondering the crappiness of life… estrogen…PMS… I can’t explain it, kind of like I can’t explain crop circles. And we carry on.
Tropical Depression Ernesto has put the finishing touches on my ruined weekend. Aside from the cold, and the pms my wonderful Labor Day weekend has been abandoned in several ways. It began as a simple go chill with the Boyfriend kind of thing, which somehow transformed itself into a chill with the Boyfriend while entertaining really good friend who decided to come visit (she’s stuck at grad school in Connecticut, she can’t take the bland anymore).
First it was decided that my lAdiEE shouldn’t come down because driving in this mess would be crazy. Then I was on the fence about traveling via train to Hampton Roads to see the boyfriend anyway…the sick, the weather. Finally it was decided that I wouldn’t go…not by my cold, or myself but by Amtrak. To which I must say…credit where credit is due; someone called to tell me that the train wasn’t running from Alexandria (ALX) to Newport News (NPN) due to flooding… thank you Amtrak for blazing through my indecisive mind.
But this is where I am. I am cold, stuck in the house, emotional, moody, PMS need I say more. I don’t get to see my friend and it’s been a while. I don’t get to ride the train and I love the train. And I have to miss my boyfriend. The last is a bit new, or rather a bit different. I’m not sure if it’s because of “during these times”, because I’m sick and naturally want to be taken care of, or because of the simple unaffected fact that I miss him… in a way that is hard to describe to him because I’m strong, and we know I don’t do that emotional shit.
And all of a sudden I feel as if it’s turning into one of those blogs… Straying from an ode to the wanton in between to something a bit more relational and I’ll stop.
Everything good seems so far away…
**fIrefLy**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The United Nations...Here and Now

"I am the first to admit I have dated all around the world, as a matter of fact a former friend and I would call ourselves the UN (United Nations). As a young black woman I had the all too common experience of growing up in a predominantly white southern town, on the daily seeing racism in ways that some may never know, I also had the benefit of a very diverse family who would break the mold just as well as hold it in place..." In continuation from the previous post on this issue, yes, I have dated outside of my race with frequency. It still amazes me how a visual characteristic can have such an unwavering hold on the minds and lives of people that it remains one of the most predominant issues of hot debate. The discussion of race is necessary to rid us of those misconceptions we may have about others at the same time I think in some ways the constant discussion of race just serves to continually draw attention to the subtle insignificant differences between people, its a ver...

In this corner the job, in that corner the work

I am currently half way finished with the entry about interracial dating but I'm in one of those moods where I have to switch gears and rant. I love the work that I do. I work with students in the public school system who are not necessarily on the right path to provide them the support they need to stay in school and move on to positive things in their lives, that is the short version. The long version is that I am a teacher, advocate, advisor, counselor...all those things kids need from everyone in the school that because of sheer size can not be provided to every kid. I love that. I love interacting with my kids, listening to them talk, having them call me at all hours for ridiculous nonsensical stuff which really translates to them wanting me to care and knowing that I care so much that those calls are OK. In the words of my coworker and friend I love the work that I do but I hate my job. I hate that I have an non supportive management team who I feel only backs me to get the d...

Restoration, the perfect gift.

So I am about to turn 25 and everyone keeps asking what I want to do, my response of course being I want to party and I guess on some level that is always a good answer from my perspective but lately I have been thinking about so many things; how I feel about my life right now, and what is it I really want? What do I really want for my 25th birthday? A return to optimism, that intrinsic idea that no matter what, things are going to be ok. I love the optimism I have carried with me through this life and it seems to have been ravaged here lately but I miss it fiercely. When I lose it there is this replacement of anxiety that keeps me frozen, and afraid, and worried. I want my optimism, so I will have to take it. I want contentment, the feeling you have after a good day right when you fall asleep in that comfortable position knowing that tomorrow is going to be an even better day, and you fall asleep with a sigh and a smile. I want to remember to reflect on the love in my life, coming fro...